Friday, October 31, 2008

California Maki, or is it?

I thought it was a little strange at first, but it seems I wasn't the only one.

We're all familiar with California Maki or California Rolls. They're little rice and seaweed rolls stuffed with crab sticks (which I am told are actually swordfish), mango, and mayonnaise.

But see, when I went to Canada, this is what I get:

california rolls with avocado, crab stick, salmon, and tempura shrimp from a korean-japanese restaurant

So apparently, since there are very little mangoes there, they substituted it with avocado. Or so I thought... I'm told the original California Rolls are actually made with avocado and not mangoes. Makes sense, since mangoes' tastes vary from sour to sweet, while avocados are a little more consistent with taste.

But maybe that's just me.

Now I'm craving for California Rolls. Maybe I should bug Tiff for another lunch date...

11 comments:

  1. avocados~ :3 it is a California roll after all and now I miss my avocado tree ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lunch daaaaaaate! :"> I wanna try it with Avocado rolls. I like avocados :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yarrow: I'm wondering why it's called California though... But yeah, I like the avocados better...

    Tiff: YES DATE! And you should try, it's really good. :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I buy? :"> The Phils has?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if the Philippine has, but I promised Art I'd make him some when his avocado trees bear fruit. ^_^ You're welcome to have some too if you want. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know why they call it California Roll \o/ in the 60's/70's there was a Japanese chef who wanted to promote japanese food in the US and he was living in California so he invented something that would encourage Californians to try Japanese :D so he came up with the California roll since there are a lot of avocados in the southwest and it's easier to try a new food when there's something familiar added to it \o/ the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. zomg, is that true? D: Lolz~ It makes perfect sense when I think about it~ That chef is a genius! x3

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can give you lots and lots of avocados, phlease make me those??? :D hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If they're in season, then I'll make you guys some. :D They're pretty easy to make and bring to the office. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yay! So tell us when you've made some :'> So we can go to the office. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure, I'll let you both know. :D Maybe I can make some during Christmas Party, if we have one or something. :D

    ReplyDelete