Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fanning the Flames of Outrage

I’m sure people have heard about Nick Simmon’s “Incarnate” by now, seeing that he’s “paid homage” to popular series Bleach.

But to release a statement like this?

“Like most artists I am inspired by work I admire. There are certain similarities between some of my work and the work of others. This was simply meant as an homage to artists I respect, and I definitely want to apologize to any Manga fans or fellow Manga artists who feel I went too far. My inspirations reflect the fact that certain fundamental imagery is common to all Manga. This is the nature of the medium.

“I am a big fan of Bleach, as well as other Manga titles. And I am certainly sorry if anyone was offended or upset by what they perceive to be the similarity between my work and the work of artists that I admire and who inspire me.”

From: Manga Worth Reading
Nick Simmons Releases Statement, Takes No Responsibility

I am upset by this, of course, since I draw my own webmanga, 黑火子 and let manga fans read it online for free. There are ads, yes, but I really hardly make any money out of those. And it’s not that I’ve never used references before either. I mean, there have been comments about Rei Kuassary looking like Lady Anne of Gundam Wing… and let’s not forget, I mentioned tracing parts of this as a practice for using the pen tool…

So… I don’t know. At one point or another, artists have done their share of copying works in order to practice. I don’t think I’m that “pure” to be the one to judge him.

I do know this… All publicity? Most probably good publicity. I hope he manages to get out of this in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment